Monday, March 02, 2009

Elizabeth George reference in Star Trek Destiny

I mentioned the other day that I'm reading David Mack's Gods of Night, the first in the Star Trek Destiny trilogy. It seems that the author is a fan of Elizabeth George - either the books and/or the tv series.


Taken from p260:
"I trust you've assigned new watch commanders for the next two shifts?"

"Yes sir" Worf said. "Commander Lynley is on the bridge now, and Lieutenant Commander Havers will relieve him at 0800."
I have put together an amazon list of the Star Trek: The Next Generation, Titan and Voyager books that are set after the film Nemesis so I can keep track of them. I have several already on my tbr and the library has some others. For some reason, Articles of the Federation by Keith RA DeCandido is rather rare and is listed at £28 second hand. It does seem to be available as an e-book for US$6-10 so I may have to go down that route as I didn't buy it at the time of publication and neither did the libraries I belong to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! It is lovely when these little out-of-context references crop up. It isn't anything like as good, but I just read a book in which the grumpy boss is called "Rankin", and I wondered if it is a comment on Ian R. But the Star Trek - fabulous! She (E.G.) must be thrilled, well, I would be.

Anonymous said...

Guilty as charged. :-)

My wife introduced me to the Inspector Lynley Mysteries when they began airing here in the United States, and I've been a big fan of the program (as well as other detective shows, such as Foyle's War and Homicide: Life on the Street, which astute readers will also see referenced throughout the trilogy).

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Hello David! I'm really enjoying Gods of Night and have #2 lined up. You've inspired me to get back to reading Trek books :).