Saturday, November 28, 2009

International Dagger 2010

It's early days to be thinking of the short list for the International Dagger but I've had a couple of requests to list the "eligible" titles from the Euro Crime database.

The CWA website has not yet been updated for 2010 but based on last year, the criteria for this category will be that:
Eligible books must be crime novels by the broadest definition including thrillers, suspense novels and spy fiction as long as the book was not originally written in English and has been translated into English for UK publication between June 1 2009 and May 31 2010.
So based on my database, here are the fifty-nine sixty sixty-one titles I believe to be eligible, based on amazon.co.uk publication dates and a loose interpretation of the definition of "crime fiction". I have included the non European books that I know about, though there may be omissions of course. (Links are to Euro Crime reviews). As it's quite early it's possible more titles will be published before the end of May that I don't yet know about:
Boris Akunin - She Lover of Death
Selcuk Altun - Many and Many a Year Ago
Barbara Baraldi - The Girl With the Crystal Eyes
Tonino Benacquista - Badfellas
Mikkel Birkegaard - The Library of Shadows
Sergio Bizzio - Rage
Armand Cabasson - Memory of Flames
Andrea Camilleri - August Heat
Raphael Cardetti - Death in the Latin Quarter
Massimo Carlotto - Poisonville (with Marco Videtta)
Donato Carrisi - The Whisperer
Jacques Chessex - A Jew Must Die
K O Dahl - The Last Fix
Leif Davidsen - The Woman from Bratislava
Tim Davys - Amberville
Tom Egeland - The Guardians of the Covenant
Marjolijn Februari - The Book Club
Marcello Fois - Blood from the Skies
Karin Fossum - The Water's Edge
Eugenio Fuentes - At Close Quarters
Michele Giuttari - The Death of a Mafia Don
Juan Gomez-Jurado - Contract with God
Luigi Guicciardi - Inspector Cataldo's Criminal Summer
Petra Hammesfahr - The Lie
Anne Holt - Death in Oslo
Arnaldur Indridason - Hypothermia
Claude Izner - The Predator of Batignolles
Christian Jacq - The Judgement of the Mummy
Tove Jansson - The True Deceiver
Andrea H Japp - The Divine Blood
Mari Jungstedt - The Killer's Art
Andrey Kurkov - The Good Angel of Death
Camilla Lackberg - The Stonecutter
Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
Giulio Leoni - The Kingdom of Light
Henning Mankell - The Man from Beijing
Dominique Manotti - Affairs of State
Javier Marias - Your Face Tomorrow 3: Poison, Shadow and Farewell
Petros Markaris - Che Committed Suicide
Patricia Melo - Lost World
Deon Meyer - Thirteen Hours
Zygmunt Miloszewski - Entanglement
Rita Monaldi & Francesco Sorti - Secretum
Jo Nesbo - The Snowman
Guillermo Orsi - No-one Loves a Policeman
Jean-Francois Parot - The Nicolas le Floch Affair
Arturo Perez-Reverte - Pirates of the Levant
Claudia Pineiro - Thursday Night Widows
Luis Miguel Rocha - The Last Pope
Santiago Roncagliolo - Red April
Emili Rosales - The Invisible City
Frank Schatzing - Death and the Devil
Andrea Maria Schenkel - Ice Cold
Bernhard Schlink - Self's Murder
Mehmet Murat Somer - The Gigolo Murder
Gunnar Staalesen - The Consorts of Death
Johan Theorin - The Darkest Room
Alberto Vazquez-Figueroa - Tuareg
Alberto Vazquez-Figueroa - Coltan
Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The Angel's Game
Juli Zeh - Dark Matter
The shortlist will be announced at CrimeFest in May.

12 comments:

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Karen, please note the correct spelling of Javier Marias, not Marais, author of Your Face Tomorrow 3: Poison, Shadow and Farewell.
But in any case congratulations for your excellent blog and reviews. And please correct my English spelling when necessary

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Many thanks Jose for letting me know. I've been spelling it wrong for years, how embarrassing! I've now corrected it in the blog post and on my database.

The book was well reviewed in the UK press a week or so ago.

Thank you for your very kind words about the blog.

Maxine Clarke said...

What a fantastic list, thank you Karen! I must get reading, I can see. I think of myself as a keen reader of translated European crime fiction but I have read only nine of these titles! (I have read other books by some more of the authors).
Thanks, Karen, I'm looking forward to perusing the titles on this list - first I'll be looking for that Lief Davidsen and the Camilla Lackberg.

Philip Amos said...

This is splendid, Dame Karen, but I must just point out that Perez-Reverte's Pirates of the Levant is one of his 'Captain Alatriste' adventure novels, not crime fiction at all. I wrote a while back on Kerrie's blog that some of his publishers have been confusing this issue by trying to cash in on the success of his wonderful crime novels -- Flanders Panel, Seville Communion, Dumas Club -- by making reference to them on the covers of his historical swashbucklers. They'll just annoy people, because by no stretch are the Alatriste books crime fiction.

Otherwise, I have read a grand total of four of these titles, so Maxine is way ahead of me. This is largely a function of my living in the catchment area of the worst public library system in the history of the universe and all parallel universes, as I keep on telling them.

Uriah Robinson said...

Nine, Maxine !
I have only read a miserable 4, but when that short list is announced I shall get cracking. Top of my list of wanted books is the Snowman.
Thanks Karen for this list.

Fiona said...

Hypothermia pleasem judges!

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Hi Philip, yes I've read the first Alatriste book which I quite liked. I suppose it's more an adventure series but I thought I'd leave it in anyway. Another anomaly is Tove Jansson's book which is probably as much like crime fiction as Karin Fossum's Broken was. Sorry that you have a poor library service. Mine is quite good but is slow to get books from the smaller presses and few copies when they do arrive.

Maxine, Norman and Fiona - thanks for the comments!

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

I've just added Mari Jungstedt - The Killer's Art, to the list (Mar 2010).

Simon Clarke said...

Excellent list ,Karen-
I have read 11--including the
wonderful Tove Jansson--
The True Deceiver--although-
I am struggling unsuccessfully
to put this in the category
of a 'crime' novel.

Paul Arre said...

Useful list, thank you!

I haven't read many of those titles (shame, shame!) but The Darkest Room is high on my personal list (I still have to read Hypothermia, which will be available in French next month).

Congratulations for your blog.

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

There's still time as quite a few of these titles have not yet published (in the UK) :).

I must get to Hypothermia and The Darkest Room soon. Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer (non-euro) is great.

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Just added another title: Guillermo Orsi's No-one Loves a Policeman as the pub. date seems to have come forward to 29 April.