Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Caller - Cover Opinions

This week's selection for "cover opinions" is the US and UK covers for Karin Fossum's The Caller, tr. K E Semmel. The US release is not until August 2012. You can read an extract here. The UK mass-market paperback (with a new series look, I understand) will be out in July.

So what are your thoughts on the US (LHS) and UK (RHS) covers? Which would entice you to pick the book up if you were not familiar with the books of Karin Fossum? Both have the same quote from Jo Nesbo.

If you have read it, how well do the covers match the story? (I actually thought that was a grave-stone on the US cover (which would sort of fit in) but I think it's just a gap in the trees.)

Read the Euro Crime review (by me) of The Caller.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen - Oh, I so much like this feature :-). I prefer the U.K. cover in terms of colour. But I don't like the blurb right there in the middle of the cover as it is in the U.K. version.

Kerrie said...

already available in Australia (2011) - the blue cover

Peter Rozovsky said...

U.K. all the way on this one.
====================================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Maxine Clarke said...

I like them both, and think they reflect the story well. I don't like that circular sticker on the UK cover, hope it is one of those peel-off ones. I think the red floor in the US version is a good colour and a bit different from the usual "snow scene for scandi" books. At least it is a quote from Jo Nesbo rather than comparing her to him (which is laughable if you've read both authors).

Dorte H said...

Oh, this one is difficult. I don´t like the red colour, but the grey cover one is a bit bland.

Mike said...

Uk one for me. It reminds me of Michael Connelly for some reason.